Thursday, April 2, 2009

want to get sore?

Here are some workouts I do that help me achieve basic fitness as well as power-focussed bouldering in the gym.

* cardio: elliptical while I'm watching ANTM or some other TV show...during commercial breaks I jump over to the rowing machine and keep a steady building pace for about 4 minutes. Show comes back on - back to the elliptical. I know, you might think it's pathetic to do the whole TV thing while working out but I love it! It's a good way to work your whole body while maintaining a high heart-rate and thus, getting a good cardio workout. I go for about an hour. Also it's good to jog on the track and switch it up.

* Campusing: right now I'm not in the best campussing shape so I am starting on the big blocks and do one side ladder, making sure to be even with the starting arm (make sure to keep track of which arm you start with). Then I do wide ladders - 2 to 3 sets. Next I do some power routines....hard to explain. Make sure to rest properly in between sets. That is key .... and also to try HARD when you go.

* Abs: I like to switch it up between my "2-min. abs" which involves a series of differnt ab exercises for 2 min. total and about 15 reps / each individual ab set. It burns! Make sure you don't let your abs cramp up. This is not good.
Weight room ab machines: these are fun and work well for me - good rest in between sets. Ab exercises off the hang board. Medicine ball works well too.

* Antagonist training: make sure to work those other muscles you tend to avoid. Climbers PULL PULL PULL so you have to balance out your "weaker" muscles and PUSH PUSH PUSH. Twice a week is optimal for me.

* End of the day killer. I like to kill myself at the end with an interval of 5 pullups on the hangboard, 20 situps, 10 pushups. I do three sets total with NO rest. That will make ya sore the next day!

Enjoy........any questions, feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment